These opportunities keep coming up; lots of us archived paper, which
survives longer than magnetics - and their transports.

These seem to be addressed as one-off projects.  It would be more
efficient if a group of interested people could develop/find a sponsor
for a listing -> code facility.  But that may be just a dream.

Scanning paper efficiently requires an investment.  This would seem to
be something that could best be centralized (or regionalized).  Al
Kossow (chm/bitsavers) has hardware for efficiently scanning manuals,
but I don't know if it handles 11 x 17 (line printer) pages.  But he's
not centrally located - and the really scarce resource is labor.

Scanning code is a bit different from scanning books.  Listings tend to
have headers, footers, (tractor feed holes), notations - in some cases,
assembly code or other columns - separate from the code.  Plus lines
and/or colored bars.  And while the font will be consistent & monospace,
ribbons don't always produce crisp impressions.  They fade; the paper
isn't acid-free; zero and O aren't interchangeable, and spaces matter.
You want to end up with code that can be compiled - with minimal manual
intervention.  So you will want to be able OCR the result, without a lot
of fixups.  And you need to be able to either select the desired source
code, or reliably post-process to extract it.  So getting every
character (including spaces) right matters, and skew that might be
tolerated in a book becomes a problem with listings.  On the other hand,
if the tractor feed holes haven't been detached, it ought to be possible
to adapt a printer as a pretty good transport.  Printers like the DEC
LA120 have the necessary stepping motors, optical encoders, power, and
are microprocessor controlled.  Some line printers have 4 tractor
drives, which can hold paper flatter than the 2 of serial printers.  But
these are more power hungry and a bit more work to adapt.

In any case, the problem is that building something efficient is a
Project; it would be really useful in the grand scheme of things.  But
for any one recovery, it always seems better to just stumble along with
something ad-hoc. So local optimization, as often is the case, wins over
global.

Here are some starting points from the book world:

https://www.diybookscanner.org
https://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2013/02/diy-book-scanning-is-easier-than-you-think/
https://www.wired.com/2010/04/the-20-diy-book-scanner/
https://makezine.com/projects/make-41-tinkering-toys/diy-book-scanner/
http://scantailor.org
https://www.theverge.com/2012/11/13/3639016/google-books-scanner-vacuum-diy

P.S. I once worked in a very small company; cash was short.  We used
each sheet of printer paper four times, and never burst it.  Front and
back, of course.  But it turns out that most of our listings were
left-skewed.  So turning the paper up-side down and printing the right
side was adequate for working listings.  There was minimal overlap.  I
wouldn't want to scan those :-)