I think the whole concept of deriving the number of controllers based on units in simh is wrong. I think one should configure each controller separately, including being able to tell what CSR and vector it has, and how many units should be connected one way or another, and any other relevant information. For serial ports, that obviously means that you might connect one line to a physical line, another to a telnet listener, and another one not connected to anything at all. And exactly how many units/lines the controller have should also be a factor here then.

This also comes back to disks, where I might not want to configure four disks on one controller, but maybe one controller per disk.

The list goes on...

  Johnny

On 2018-04-09 20:47, Mark Pizzolato wrote:
Hmmm..

This is indeed true.  The problem comes from the fact that the single PDP11 simulator can simulate different PDP11 models some of which are Unibus while others are Qbus systems.  On the various VAX simulators, each simulator only simulates either a Unibus or a Qbus machine and thus things are simpler to align and thus things appear as you would expect.

Feel free not to use the extra ports that are provided free of charge. J

Seriously, I’ll look into addressing this.  The number of DZ11/DZV11 devices that are simulated is derived from the number of lines which are configured.  A problem arises when the CPU type changes between a Unibus and Qbus types.  What should happen when an odd number of DZV11’s are configured and the CPU type is changed from a Qbus type to a Unibus type?