I think the key concept was "the simulator does not stop". Essentially, be able to give commands to simh while the simulated system continues running. Which would be a nice thing to be able to do when you just want to change which tape or disk is attached, for example.

  Johnny

On 2019-08-06 21:25, Mark Pizzolato wrote:
On Tuesday, August 6, 2019 at 12:20 PM, Richard Cornwell wrote:
    What I would rather see then an automatic connection of the console
    to a telnet port, is the command processor running in a thread so
    that when you ^E your simulator does not stop. Perhaps this could be
    toggle able for testing purposes. SIMH already support redirecting
    the console to a telnet port so there is nothing really to add here.

You should try using the remote console:

        sim> SET REMOTE TELNET=port

Boot you simulator.

And from another window, telnet to the remote console port.
You can directly enter many commands and get their response with the simulator
still running OR if you want to stop instruction execution you can type the WRU
character (CTRL E) and enter a series of commands with instruction execution
suspended which will you can CONTINUE or if you wait a while it will CONTINUE
automatically...

Does this solve the problem you were thinking of?

- Mark

email: b...@softjar.se             ||  Reading murder books