I can't really follow your second paragraph as I don't see the logic of
including something red when not-red is selected.  But, in regard to
your first paragraph, I think you get what you want by just preselecting
all facet values, and allowing the user to _uncheck_ red if they want to
exclude that one.  In your facet tag, just add
ex:selection="red;blue;green;yellow" and it'll start off with those
selected.

(note the following inconsistency-for-good-reason in exhibit: if _no_
value is selected for a facet, then in fact it is as if _every_ value is
selected.  For facets with selections, only items that match one of the
selections will be shown.  But if we applied this without exception,
then a facet without selections would make everything vanish---not a
good default.  So, we have an exception for an "empty" facet.  However,
this does force a dramatic change when you take an empty facet and
select one value; suddenly it switches from "as if all values are
selected" to just the single selected value.  If instead you start with
all values selected, then unselected one will do what you want)