Hi Mark,

Thanks for the pointer. However, this isn't quite what I had in mind. I was
hoping that there would be some way to force events to appear on the same
row within a band. For example, in the third band in the example you listed,
the events "The Old Guitarist" and "Portrait of Pablo Picasso" do not line
up at the same y co-ordinates, even though the text of "The Old Guitarist"
does not overlap with that of "Portrait of Pablo Picasso". They are in the
same band, but are not vertically aligned. I would like to be able to insist
that, if there is no overlap, events appear in the same row. Is this
possible?

thanks,
Alex