Hi there,

We are working on a open source project about code generation for
simulators of dynamic systems (http://genesim.sourceforge.net/).
As part of the project we are trying to translate DAVE-ML in the XML
format from which our generator is able to produce code.

Working with the examples available at the DAVE-ML web site, we
encountered several problems. In short:
- seems that examples are not updated to the last DTD;
- old DTD's sometimes work but have bad references to the MathML DTD.

Following there is a detailed report, from Giovanni Mirri, the student
that is working on the DAVE-ML to GeneSim translator for his BSc thesis.

We are looking for more DAVE-ML examples, from little to large, possibly
updated to the last version of the DTD.

Any help is appreciated.

Thanks for your attention and best regards,
Giovanni A. Cignoni.

Problem: examples do not pass validation

Source file: f16_aero.xml

DAVE-ML DTD version: 1.5b3

Using Altova XMLSpy results in the following message:
File C:\Documents and Settings\Gio\Documenti\TESI\f16_areo.xml could not be
validated because of an error in XML Schema/DTD (see below)
File http://www.w3.org/TR/MathML2/dtd/isonum.ent is not valid.
Pre-defined entity 'amp' should be declared as '&'.
  Error location: amp
  Details
    Predefined entity redefinition: Pre-defined entity 'amp' should be
    declared as '&'.

Using Xerces Parser results in the following message:
Fatal error at file c:\.... \DAVEfunc.xml, line 270, char 9:
Could not open file http://www.w3.org/TR/MathML2/dtd/mathml2.dtd

Solution, replace:

<!ENTITY % mathml PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD MathML 2.0//EN"
       "http://www.w3.org/TR/MathML2/dtd/mathml2.dtd";>

with:

<!ENTITY % mathml PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD MathML 2.0//EN"
       "http://www.w3.org/Math/DTD/mathml2/mathml2.dtd";>

which is another valid link for the MathML2 DTD file.
With this modification the example is correctly valided with both
XMLSpy and Xerces.

Problem: another validation problem

Source: HL20_aero.xml

DAVE_ML DTD version: 1.5b3

Using Altova XMLSpy results in the following messages:

File C:\Documents and Settings\Gio\Documenti\TESI\HL20_aero.xml is not
valid Element 'reference' must not have any content.
 Error location: DAVEfunc / fileHeader / reference / @date
 Details
   VC: Element Valid: Element 'reference' must not have any content.

and:

Content model of element 'DAVEfunc' disallows element 'checkData' at this
position.
Error location: DAVEfunc / checkData
Details
 VC: Element Valid: Content model of element 'DAVEfunc' disallows element
checkData' at this position.

Problem: examples are not compliant with newer version of the DTD

Source: f16_aero.xml

DAVE-ML DTD version: 1.6b1 and later

Using Altova XMLSpy results in the following message:
File C:\Documents and Settings\Gio\Documenti\TESI\f16_aero.xml is not valid.
Content model of element 'calculation' disallows element 'math' at this
position.
 Error location: DAVEfunc / variableDef / calculation / math
 Details
  VC: Element Valid: Content model of element 'calculation' disallows
  element 'math' at this position.

Xerces and others parsers return a very similar error message.