On 10/28/06, Bill K wrote:
I've just seen a news article that is relevant.
<http://technology.guardian.co.uk/weekly/story/0,,1930960,00.html>

I'm aware that robot fighters of some sort are being built by the
military, it would be ridiculous to believe that with technology as
advanced as it is, that the military wouldn't have such systems.  I
just don't care to believe that singularity-level events will only be
advanced by a war.
Maybe my optimism isn't worth keeping or maybe i'm just being naive.

Do most in the filed believe that only a war can advance technology to
the point of singularity-level events?
Any opinions would be helpful.

Just curious
Anna

On 10/27/06, BillK <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
On 10/22/06, Anna Taylor <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> On 10/22/06, Bill K wrote:
>
> >But I agree that huge military R&D expenditure (which already supports
> >many, many research groups) is the place most likely to produce
> >singularity-level events.
>
> I am aware that the military is the most likely place to produce
> singularity-level events, i'm just trying to stay optimistic that a
> war won't be the answer to advancing it.

I've just seen a news article that is relevant.
<http://technology.guardian.co.uk/weekly/story/0,,1930960,00.html>

Launching a new kind of warfare
Thursday October 26, 2006   The Guardian

Extracts:

By 2015, the US Department of Defense plans that one third of its
fighting strength will be composed of robots, part of a $127bn (£68bn)
project known as Future Combat Systems (FCS), a transformation that is
part of the largest technology project in American history.
------------
Among the 37 or so UAVs detailed in the "US Unmanned Aircraft Systems
Roadmap 2005-2030" (http://tinyurl.com/ozv78), two projects
demonstrated in 2004 - the Boeing X45a and the Northrop Grumman X47a
(both uncannily similar to the Stealth fighter) - are listed as Joint
Unmanned Combat Air Systems. A similar project, the Cormorant, which
can be launched from a submerged submarine, can be used by special
forces for ground support. A close reading of the UAV Systems Roadmap
shows the startling progress the US has already made in this field,
with systems ranging from fighters to helicopters and propeller driven
missiles called Long Guns on display.
------------
But if this is the beginning of the end of humanity's presence on the
battlefield, it merits an ethical debate that the military and its
weapons designers are shying away from.
--------------
For the FCS project is far more than the use of robots. It also
involves the creation of a hugely complex, distributed mobile computer
network on to a battlefield with huge numbers of drones supplying
nodes and communication points in an environment under continual
attack.
End extracts.

This project looks to me like autonomous robot fighters linking back
to an AI-type real-time command and control system.  It may not be
general AI, but it certainly looks like AI in its own domain of the
battlefield.

BillK

http://v2.listbox.com/member/[EMAIL PROTECTED]