--- Richard Loosemore <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> What I wanted was a set of non-circular definitions of such terms as
> "intelligence" and "learning", so that you could somehow *demonstrate*
> that your mathematical idealization of these terms correspond with the
> real thing, ... so that we could believe that the mathematical
> idealizations were not just a fantasy.

The last time I looked at a dictionary, all definitions are circular.  So you
win.

> P.S.   The above definition is broken anyway:  what about unsupervised
> learning?  What about learning by analogy?

I should have specified supervised learning as an application of AIXI.  There
are subsets, H, of Turing machines for which there are efficient algorithms
for finding a small h in H that is consistent with the training data.
Examples include decision trees, neural networks, polynomial regression,
clustering, etc.  However AIXI does not necessarily imply learning.  There are
other approaches.

-- Matt Mahoney, [EMAIL PROTECTED]