--- "John G. Rose" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> > From: Matt Mahoney [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
> >
> > You won't see a singularity.  As I explain in
> > http://www.mattmahoney.net/singularity.html an intelligent agent (you)
> > is not capable of recognizing agents of significantly greater
> > intelligence.  We don't know whether a singularity has already occurred
> > and the world we observe is the result.  It is consistent with the
> > possibility, e.g. it is finite, Turing computable, and obeys Occam's
> > Razor (AIXI).
> >

> You should be able to see it coming. That's how people like Kurzweil make
> their estimations based on technological rates of change. When it gets
> really close though then you can only imagine how it will unfold.

Yes, we can see it coming, so by the anthropic principle, the singularity must
always be in the future.

> If a singularity has already occurred how do you know how many there have
> been? Has somebody worked out the math on this? And if this universe is a
> simulation is that simulation running within another simulation? Is there a
> simulation forefront or is it just one simulation within another ad
> infinitum? Simulation raises too many questions. Seems like simulation and
> singularity would be easier to keep separate, except for uploading. But then
> the whole concept of uploading is just ...too.. confusing... unless our
> minds are complex systems like Richard Loosemore proposes and uploading
> would only be a sort of echo of the original.

There is no way to know if we are living in a nested simulation, or even in a
single simulation.  However there is a mathematical model: enumerate all
Turing machines to find one that simulates a universe with intelligent life.

-- Matt Mahoney, [EMAIL PROTECTED]