I keep hearing what I have been saying for a long time, put the security in
the firewall. My only point is this: When you start to move the
infrastructure into the cloud, it becomes more important to build the
security behaviors into the service and not on the underlying platform. So
I am searching for ways to do this "internal" to sipx.

When deploying in an environment like Amazon EC2, you cannot rate limit.
Using their firewall blocking or allowing only certain regions takes
thousands of manual entries. It's just not as easy as uploading a script
which you can do on your service (sipx). Why? Because cloud security is not
where it needs to be yet (IMO).

I believe rate limiting is a good fallback position to have built into the
proxy since it will limit both call and registration attempts. I never
thought the Blacklist would do much other than to thwart something that
already got started, and that's OK. I think the least performance hit to
sipx would be to use iptables as the place to use more extensive blacklists
when the firewall capabilities are too lacking.

sip: helpd...@voice.myitdepartment.net