I think a move to github would be a fine idea.

As for the SystemConfigurator functionality, I'd like to use
theSystemImager post-script functionality.
It will allow us to
  - include simple scripts upstream, that could be used as-is for simple and
common cases
  - these simple scripts could be easily customized by site admins, without
having to know SystemImager internals
  - a simple script could be used to invoke puppet, chef, or SSM (Simple
State Manager - http://download.systemimager.org/pub/ssm/README)

Cheers, -Brian

Brian Elliott Finley
Mobile: 469.444.0167