64 + 5 - what next for Paul McCartney?
http://www.digitaljournal.com/article/311915

Sep 24, 2011 -
by Alexander Baron

Will you still need me...when I’m sixty-four. Next year, the amazing Mr
McCartney will reach the Biblical three score and ten, yet is still hard at
work. Does he need the money, or is there another reason for his extraordinary
output?
Those of us who are old enough to remember the Beatles, including that song ,
will also remember the hysteria that went with it, known as Beatlemania.
Although their career as a band was actually relatively short – from 1960-70
under that name, their influence has been extraordinary in both music and
popular culture. All four wrote songs, but the backbone of the group was the
partnership of John Lennon and Paul McCartney. John was regarded as the serious
one, and Paul the not-so-serious; many also regarded him as the least talented.
If Lennon hadn’t been murdered in December 1980, there is no telling how he
would have progressed as a songwriter and more generally as an artist, but
although his achievements will stand for all time, he would have had to go some
to keep up with his baby-faced namesake John Paul McCartney. The two men shared
their writing credits but generally they wrote songs individually, and it
doesn’t take an aficionado to tell who wrote what. I Am The Walrus bears
Lennon’s stamp , while Yesterday was written by or predominantly by Macca. For
an idea of how they influenced other artists, check out Terminal Eyes , by Al
Stewart ; it is impossible to hear that and not think of I Am The Walrus . It
is generally accepted that Macca is if not the most prolific songwriter of all
time then the most prolific of the modern era, and if not that, then the most
prolific/financially successful/acclaimed/talented of all time. Yesterday is
the most covered song of all time, so that is at least two individual titles he
holds. After the Beatles it looked like it was all over for him, career wise if
not music wise. While it would be impossible to write as many songs as he has
without the odd turkey – anyone remember the quite awful frog chorus We All
Stand Together ? – and while his Beatles days set the benchmark, he has
produced innumerable songs of similar quality: the 1977 anthem Mull Of Kintyre
, which he co-wrote with Denny Laine – the first UK release ever to sell two
million copies. Before that there was the James Bond film soundtrack Live And
Let Die ; there have also been songs that brought him into conflict with the
censor: Give Ireland Back To The Irish – a song that has even less melodical
merit than political, and simply awful lyrics ; Hi Hi Hi – which was also
banned by the BBC, for an entirely different reason ; and Big Boys Bickering ,
his contribution to the fight against environmental despoliation which led to
his classic comment to an interviewer “...I'm talking about, erm, the ozone
layer and the big hole in it, fifty mile wide hole. I don't think well that's a
flipping hole...” Macca has always been specifically a songwriter; although a
multi-instrumentalist, as predominantly a bass player on stage he has never
been big on either instrumentals or soloing, so it came as some surprise that
he decided to try his hand at composing a ballet. In a BBC interview shortly
after its New York debut , he showed typical humility when he said he didn’t
know much about ballet, but that he wanted to try something he hadn’t done
before. He ended up writing the story as well, and adopting a generally hands
on approach. He admitted too that he doesn’t actually write music, though this
admission needs some qualification. He tried with the old lady down the road
when he was a kid; tried again when he was 16 with the guy across the road; and
tried again aged 21 with a guy from the Guildhall of Music, again with no luck.
Obviously he knows a crochet from a semi-quaver, and he said nothing about
either tablature or chords. His daughter Stella designed the costumes, with a
bit of input from Dad. Anyone inclined to put this down to nepotism should
think again; Stella is a talented designer in her own right, though obviously a
bit of networking helps. Macca is currently flogging the soundtrack to Ocean’s
Kingdom on his website , in several different formats. The big question is what
next, an opera? First, we should answer the question we began with; if you
haven’t already guessed the answer, it is simple: that’s what he does. It is
what defines Sir James Paul McCartney MBE as a human being more than anything
else; the desire, indeed the need to create works of artistic merit – or
non-merit in the case of the frog chorus. He may well compose an opera,
complete with libretto, perhaps another film soundtrack, or even another
ballet, but the very next thing on his agenda is to tie the knot with his
American fiancée Nancy Shevell . His previous two marriages ended in widowhood
and an acrimonious divorce. Miss Shevell is an heiress, but to dispell any
notion of his marrying her for her money, she is quite a looker; Sir Paul is
also reputed to be worth a dinar or two, and is also shortly to receive an
award for his charity work as much as for his music. As the man himself said :
All You Need Is Love .

.