Talk Like a Beat? No Way Daddy-o!

http://www.newyorker.com/online/blogs/books/2011/09/talk-like-a-beat-no-way-daddy-o.html

Posted by Ian Crouch
September 26, 2011

Noting the popularity and general good humor of International Talk Like a
Pirate Day (which I posted about last week), David Barnett at the Guardian has
suggested a new literary-diction holiday, Talk Like a Beat Day, which he
proposes for October 7th, anniversary of the night that Allen Ginsberg first
recited his poem “Howl” in San Francisco. Beats, like pirates, are an easy
target for caricature: pirates were surely less salty, and likely less
interesting, than the image we now have of them, and beats, as Barnett himself
admits, were not the “pad” living, “rod” driving, “juiceheads” that now inhabit
the popular imagination. When we talk like pirates, though, we’re not really
offending much of a literary tradition. To talk like a Beat, however—and to
embrace the parody of the Beats as beatnik: the drum-tapping, finger-snapping
denatured male animal with a beret pulled low over his eyes, cowering in the
safety of the coffee house—is to ignore the real substance of the movement’s
written language.

Louis Menand, in a piece appraising the Beat movement in the magazine in 2007 ,
wrote that Kerouac and his literary circle had more in common with Frank
Sinatra’s Rat Pack than with the young men who would later flock to Greenwich
Village. They weren’t effete pseudo-intellectuals or proto-hippie communist
peaceniks—though it’s easy to see how a watered down version of an already
loosely assembled ideology could move in those directions. “On the Road,”
Menand writes, is, among its other qualities, “a story about guys who want to
be with other guys.” Like all boys’ clubs, it developed short-hand and
codes—and adopted a series of cultural poses—but the prose fits more
comfortably within a longer-view literary tradition than it does isolated in a
slang dictionary. (Barnett, who recognizes the essential silliness of his
suggested holiday, links to a kitschy collection of Beatisms .) The
characteristic, exuberant prose of the Beats conveys an angry and aggressive
young male lyricism that runs both forward and backward through the history of
literature, and, to trace just one narrow line in America, goes from writers
like Hemingway to Salinger to Kerouac to Mailer.

Consider this excerpt from one of the movement's supposed founding documents,
the “Joan Anderson” letter that Neal Cassady, the inspiration for the character
Dean Moriarty in “On the Road,” wrote to Jack Kerouac in 1950.

Fresh from the shower, mirror-primped, stepped my heroine resplendent in her
new friend’s housecoat. Just when you think you’ve learned your lesson and
swear to watch your step, a single moment offguard will pop up and hope springs
high as ever. One startled look and I knew I was right back where I started; I
felt again that choking surge flooding me as when first I’d seen her.

Cassady was most likely drug-addled when he composed the letter, which is said
to have run to seventeen pages (most of it has been lost). But he wasn’t a
loopy hep-cat; instead, he was a young man using frank, straightforward, common
language to express the full range of his exorbitant moods. Part of the appeal
of the Beats was that they wrote in a widely-used American vernacular, not that
they created a language of their own.

Kerouac died at forty-seven, but even at that young age he seemed to have lived
too long. Looking back on the Beat Generation, something he was often asked to
do and occasionally obliged, he wrote:

Maybe it was the result of the universalization of Television and nothing else
(the Polite Total Police Control of Dragnet’s “peace” officers) but the beat
characters after 1950 vanished into jails and madhouses, or were shamed into
silent conformity, the generation itself was shortlived and small in number.

Talk Like a Beat Day is a good idea, if it nudges us back to the rich sources
that were later obscured by parody. If you’re moved to join in, try to forget
how all the hipster cats sing, and instead maybe ask yourself, thinking of the
sad, disaffected young men out there: What would Jake Barnes or Seymour Glass
or Sal Paradise say?

.