On Jan 7, 2011, at 7:13, Thomas Schneider wrote:

> Justin:
>
>> I'm confused.  In your original note, you said that you set
>> landscape mode by hand.  Is that true?
>
> My program (lister) creates the image in landscape mode by using the
> PostScript rotate and moveto functions.
>
>> As I understand this, that means that the PDF file doesn't mention
>> the detail of page orientation (for your file).  True?
>
> I don't know the detail of translation to PDF, but I use:
>
> ps2pdf -dAutoRotatePages=/None $fullname
>
> So the file itself doesn't mention translation and the viewer is
> instructed not to notice the rotation function.
>
>> Are you asking that Skim remember page orientation for one page,
>> ignoring what the .pdf file says?
>
> Perhaps 'page orientation' is a better term to use!
>
> I am not asking that Skim remember one page orientation, it's for all
> pages.  Skim already remembers page orientation for all pages.
>
> Let me step you through it perhaps more clearly.
>
> One of the tools that can be placed in the Skim Toolbar (by the
> pull-down menu View / Customize Toolbar) is labeled "Rotate".  It has
> two circular arrows.  On the left is one pointing counterclockwise and
> on the one on the right is one pointing clockwise, with a thin line
> between them.  (There are also individual tools "Rotate Right and
> "Rotate Left".)  I put "Rotate" on my toolbar.  I click it to rotate
> (orient?) a page.  Skim REMEMBERS MY ACTION FOR ALL PAGES.  Skim also
> REMEMBERS which page I am on when I replace the PDF with an updated
> one, but Skim FORGETS the orientation of ALL THE PAGES.  I expect Skim
> to remember the page I am on and also to remember that I clicked on
> the "Rotate" button after a refresh.  Since it doesn't I have to keep
> clicking on "Rotate" each time, though I don't have to keep fixing the
> page.
>
> Skim clearly holds a single parameter defining the display orientation
> of ALL pages for the entire document.  It is NOT, I repeat, NOT the
> rotation of individual pages independently.  When one uses this tool
> in the toolbar ALL PAGES GET ROTATED.  So it only requires ONE
> parameter to be remembered through a refresh.  This bug, and yes, I
> insist that it is a design bug (or design oversight), is trivial and
> can probably be fixed using a single variable and a single If
> statement in the code!
>
> Tom

I'm so sorry, I did not know that, I must have slept through writing that
code...

I must agree, when I turn on my computer, I obviously change only one bit of
information: OFF/ON.

I think you owe the people on this list an apology; this kind of "discussions"
are the reason why I'm not willing to go into lengthy discussions, and cut them
short as soon as the end conclusion is obvious to me.

And with that, the discussion is closed, please respect that now.

Christiaan