I found an even better solution to keeping Skim.app in the background.
Rather than switching back to the Terminal after skim updates, one
can:

open -g -a /Applications/Skim.app $1

The manual page for open says:

     -g  Do not bring the application to the foreground.

This way one can continue editing LaTeX, a postscript program or a
program that makes a postscript program (! such as a sequence logo
http://alum.mit.edu/www/toms/glossary.html#sequence_logo) without any
loss of focus on the Terminal.

The work flow is that I write out the graphic source file from vim
with a single comma ('map , :w^M' in ~/.vimrc).  This awakens
atchange, http://alum.mit.edu/www/toms/atchange.html to run a script
which creates the pdf and then opens skim as above.  Skim refreshes.
The result is a very smooth display with editor and result on one
screen.  I do not touch the mouse.  I just edit and hit a comma when I
want it to update the display.  Thanks to the skim developers for
making this possible.

Tom

  Thomas D. Schneider, Ph.D.
  National Institutes of Health
  National Cancer Institute
  Gene Regulation and Chromosome Biology Laboratory
  Molecular Information Theory Group
  Frederick, Maryland  21702-1201
  http://alum.mit.edu/www/toms (permanent)