The embed AppleScript I posted a few days ago can be configured does
exactly that. From the usage notes for pdf-to-pdf_embed.scpt:

Reassign File:Close to another shortcut to close with Skim notes as
extended attributes (the normal Skim save); and use <cmd>w for this
shortcut.
--   To reassign File:Close, use System Preferences:Keyboard:Keyboard
Shortcuts:Application Shortcuts. Set it, say, to <cmd><shift>w.

--   Use Fastscripts to assign <cmd>w to this script.

--   With this setup:

--      <cmd>w will close and embed notes in the PDF.

--      <cmd><shift>w will close the PDF with notes as extended attributes
(the normal Skim save).
--      …

To unembed the notes, assign another shortcut to pdf_embed-to-pdf.scpt.

The scripts are on the wiki at
https://sourceforge.net/apps/mediawiki/skim-app/index.php?title=AppleScript#User-Contributed_Scriptsas
 "humanengr's Skim scripts".

That's one step to close a file and embed. Tom's script requires two --
first close the file and then run the script.