On Nov 10, 2014, at 22:51, Jan Jakob Bornheim wrote:

>> On 10 Nov, 2014, at 22:46, Christiaan Hofman <cmhof...@gmail.com> wrote:
>>

>> On Nov 10, 2014, at 18:34, Jan Jakob Bornheim wrote:
>>
>>> After using Skim for more than half a decade, I just now realised I can
>>> select “Auto Size All” in the Notes pane to to increase the row size to fit
>>> the notes (the small row size always bugged me, but I never tried doing
>>> anything about it). Is there a preference to do that automatically upon
>>> opening a PDF? Currently, Skim “forgets” the row sizing even after closing
>>> a PDF where I have already resized the rows. None of the preferences really
>>> seemed applicable, and I couldn’t find a hidden preference either.
>>>
>>> Cheers,
>>> Jan Jakob
>>

>> No, there doesn't exist such a preference. It would also not make much
>> sense, because that size is not fixed.
>>
>> Christiaan
>
> If it doesn’t exist, it doesn’t exist, that’s fine. I don’t understand though
> why it wouldn’t make sense to want to have the “auto resize” action apply
> every time I open a PDF (and add a new note for that matter); after all, I
> can make “Automatically resize” the standard for PDF display. It might not be
> for everybody, but it certainly has some kind of logic to it (mainly my
> desire to see the entire’s note content).
>
> Cheers,
> Jan Jakob

Because it is highly context sensitive. The context is things like the text of
any note and the width of the note pane. In particular, if the note pane is
collapsed, the row height would be infinite, which would make no practical
sense. And resizing all the rows dynamically whenever any of the dependent
conditions change is far too demanding.

Christiaan