On Oct 24, 2014, at 5:54, Adam R. Maxwell wrote:

>> On Oct 22, 2014, at 15:24 , Dr Eberhard W Lisse <e...@lisse.na> wrote:
>>
>> I have noticed same behaviour within the latest TeXShop, which has
>> an internal PDF reader, presumably PDFKit.
>
> It's been discussed in various places:
>
> http://tex.stackexchange.com/questions/207947/mac-os-yosemite-made-texshop-previews-unreadably-blurred
>
> which pointed to this…
>
> https://www.reddit.com/r/apple/comments/2joxlh/os_x_yosemite_1010_bug_thread/cleisr8

For those who see the fuzzy font rendering on Yosemite (probably if you don;t
have a retina display), how does doing the following affect this?
In Terminal.app type the following (while Skim is not running!):

defaults write -app Skim AppleFontSmoothing -int 0

You can revert this later by writing:

defaults delete -app Skim AppleFontSmoothing

Another possibility is turning off LCD font smoothing in the Appearance system
preferences (also restart Skim after doing that).  But this does not seem to
have much effect.

The only thing I can think of for Preview to be really different from Skim is
either if they use a hidden PDFKit feature (though I can't find any), or they
force turning off font smoothing in the whole app (people report that changing
the system font smoothing does not seem to have an effect on Preview, while it
does on Skim.) I think that would be a very bad workaround as it would have
side effects (and anyway overriding a user's preferences is bad). BTW, does the
font in the Preview UI (not the PDF) look less smooth, especially if LCD font
smoothing is turned on?

Christiaan