On Fri, 12 Oct 2018 11:07:31 +0500, Ozan Türkyılmaz wrote:
> It looks more like a nvidia driver problem. Check wheater the dravier
> installed correctly.

On Fri, 12 Oct 2018 06:33:54 -0700,
orbea-zCudsq/yU5Nknbxzx/v...@public.gmane.org wrote:
> Yes, the nvidia driver is incorrectly installed. The issue is
> specifically that libvdpau_nvidia.so does not exist. I would suggest
> removing nvidia, cleaning up any broken symlinks left behind (See the
> README), reinstalling xorg-server, mesa and then nvidia. Alternatively
> with an older gpu nouveau [...]

Chris, Ozab, orbea, reread my original post, particularly 'I don't even have any Nvidia hardware,' and I never had on this PC. None what you said has anything to do with it.  You all missed that there's an earlier line, 'libEGL warning: DRI2: failed to authenticate,' and other error lines.  VLC may now be built to use more parts of display hardware, and Nvidia is just something it checks for but is n/a. I'm using an AMD Radeon RX Vega 64 with kernel 4.18.11, but I don't think the AMD 3D drivers are ready for Slackware 14.2... and unfortunately VLC doesn't give me an option to not use such parts that make it crash.

root@0.cosmos:~# lspci|grep VGA
03:00.0 VGA compatible controller: Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. [AMD/ATI] Device 687f (rev c1)