hi,
according to jsr283 (see 16.2.3), the jcr:write is an aggregate privilege:

• jcr:write: An aggregate privilege that contains:
o jcr:modifyProperties
o jcr:addChildNodes
o jcr:removeNode
o jcr:removeChildNodes

so, jcr:write should be sufficient. i can imagine, that the individual
privilege are expanded when applying the privilege on the node, but i
don't know for sure. how exactly do you set the privilege? using the
AccessControllManager ?

if you think this is a bug, please file a jackrabbit jira issue (if
possible with a test-case).
thanks.

regards, toby