(Forwarded to slug list for general interest.)

On Sat, 29 Jan 2000, Erik de Castro Lopo wrote:

> Hi Jamie,
> 
> I'm writing to tell you that I very much enjoyed last night's
> meeting. Time permitting I will attend others in future. I
> am also very much looking forward to the Audiofest.
> 
> In you TclTk talk last night you mentioned squig (sp?) a
> tool for making C code usable as a module by many different 
> scripting languages. Do you have a link for that? I couldn't
> seem to track it down.

That's SWIG
http://www.cs.utah.edu/~beazley/SWIG/swig.html

Other things mentioned:

ICON language: http://www.cs.arizona.edu/icon/ (probably
has links to SNOBOL)

ICI (C like scripting language) : http://www.zeta.org.au/~atrn/ici/

Lua : yet anther scripting language. There are numerous others.

Tcl/Tk, Perl, Python, PHP: you have them already.

PCRE : Perl Compatible Regular Expressions: a C language package
that provides the perl type regex extensions. This is used by
ICI.

Associative Arrays, (Hash tables), Garbage Collection were some
phrases thrown around. I couldn't even begin to give anyone a
starting point for these. (An intro Perl, Python, Tcl book will talk
about them obliquely. Using Associative arrays properly is pretty
critical to getting best use.)

Guile, Scheme, Lisp, elisp : languages with "Lots of Infuriating Silly
Parenthesis" - an unfair description.

SICP (I pronounced it "Sick Pee"): "Structure and Interpretation of
Computer Programs" by Abelson, Sussman and Sussman" (get it through
Fatbrain). (Hmm... just dipped in again for this pearl: "Every reader
should ask himself periodically 'Toward what end, toward what end?' but
do not ask it too often lest you pass up the fun of programming for
the constipation of bittersweet philosophy".)

Also, for Scheme, Guy Steele's Scheme books might be good.

Someone asked about regular expressions. All intro books about Tcl, Perl,
Python should have something about regular expressions. The O'Reilly book
Mastering Regular Expressions" has more than you want to know.
"Linux in a Nutshell" has a small section with comparisons between
the different types, which I find about the right size and useful.

Two warnings on "regexs" or regular expressions. The fancier they are
the harder to understand, and it isn't hard to make really really
slow to execute regex's.

Just to complete things, Gus talked about sed and awk. They are almost
certainly installed as base packages on any system.

The bitscope code I showed two screenshots of is off
http://www.progsoc.uts.edu.au/~jhonan
which also has pointers to the bitscope device.

Thanks to all those who came, and to Gus for enduring the "doubting
catcalls". Get well soon to Malcom and we'll hear from you soon.

Jamie

--
SLUG - Sydney Linux Users Group Mailing List - http://www.slug.org.au
To unsubscribe send email to [EMAIL PROTECTED] with
unsubscribe in the text

Reply via email to