On Tue, 11 Apr 2000, Moo! wrote:
> On Tue, 11 Apr 2000, Rick Welykochy wrote:
>
> > I followed through on the article mentioned by URL
> > yesterday, regarding Netscpape's pre-release (6.0)
> > for Linux.
>
> I'm a bit disappointed with Netscape 6.0 PR 1. To me, it looks to be
> based on pre-alpha technology. (ie. I'm sure there are bugs present in
> Netscape 6.0 PR 1 which were fixed in M11, M12 and M13). It's quite
> annoying. And it's rather slow essentially. I'm not entirely impressed.
> But at least my mouse wheel works :)
>
> > One problem: neither the netscape download area
> > for this new product nor the distribution itself
> > mention how to install it on Linux.
>
> tar zxvf <archive>
> ./netscape
>
> Is it really so difficult? :)
Nope! Works as described.
I am now wondering about the rather complex set of instructions
I read on ZDNet (or wherever the press release resides). That
was 'difficult' ... but obviously not required.
Anywho ... Netscape 6.0 PR is for testers only.
In the first 10 minutes of use, I discovered about
10 bugs and 10 inoperables and .... etc.etc.
The Geko rendering engine is obviously faster,
but there is some inherent slowness in fetching
images (45 seconds for a local .gif file is a bit
much!)
I thought I read on Netscape's site that 6.0 supports
XML documents, i.e. it is an XML-enabled browser.
Not by my reckoning <sigh>.
Thanks
Rick W
--
Rick Welykochy || Praxis Services
--
SLUG - Sydney Linux Users Group Mailing List - http://www.slug.org.au
To unsubscribe send email to [EMAIL PROTECTED] with
unsubscribe in the text