I had a not dis-similar problem.  For about a week my perm connection
would redial around 7:00 each morning with extreme difficulty.  The help
desk did a line check and found noise, they passed it on to the line
techs, who found ants in the junction post, seeking high ground because of
the recent rains.  Evict the ants, remake the joins, problem solved.

Look for the obvious.

--
Howard.
LANNet Computing Associates <http://www.lannet.com.au>