Many thanks to those who suggested Python instead of QBasic.

In fact I'm over halfway through the book I have on QBasic
(QBasic and an Introduction to VisualBasic by Schneider). This is
a superb book as far as I'm concerned. It's organised thus:---

1. Chapter
1a. Introduction (=theory and chat) and then
1b. A few sample programmes, then

Problems
Problems
Problems
Problems
Problems

There are, by my reckoning about 90 problems/Chapter. 12
Chapters-->over 1000 problems. Thus far I've come across only one
that I simply could not do. Just my luck: it was an even-numbered
one. Some of the "Projects" are difficult, ie., they could take
all night to nut them out.

I know some people not a milliom miles from where I sit get
sniffy about QBasic and probably with reason, but *any* language
seems to be vulnerable to criticism: outdated, better languages
available etc. and people have been prophesying the death of
Basic for years (and Fortran and Pascal and others). Even so, if
you have a good grounding (what Schneider calls "sound
programming practice") in a simple language, the jump to a
more complex one is not so hard.

Bill Bennett