For anyone interested,  S/R/R message passing has been implemented in
the kernel and seems to run nearlly as fast under Linux as it does under
QNX.

In fact the only limitation is summarised below by the author and is
exactly the question I was asking in last Friday's SLUG Q&A session (re:
copying data between two non-related processes - quickly!)

Seems to me that if this is a limitation of the Linux kernel, it should
be fixed!  Not an unreasonable thing to ask of a kernal and must be one
of Linux's few limitations.

        1) I don't know how, in Linux, to access the address space
     of
         anything but the currently running process. In fact, it is
     not
         generally possible: the process's memory may be swapped to
     disk.
         This forces me to buffer all messages in kernel space
     before
         causing a context switch to the process for which the
     message is
         destined. Unfortunately this means that all data must be
     copied
         from sender to kernel to receiver, whereas under QNX
     message
         passing results in a single copy, directly from the
     senders
         address space to the receivers. Oh well.

The package is available from www.cogent.ca

Regards,

Andrew E.