Simon Bryan wrote:Now the problem:

> I want to put all our user directories onto the new 'NetDrive'
> I need to share them for use by Windows
> I want to make them the same home directories as appear in AUC -
currently
> '/home/popusers/xxxx/username, where xxxx is the year they started in
Year 7

> So, am I going to be able to achieve this?
> Should I setup the 'NetDrive' as an NT or Linux drive (it will do
either)?
> When setup how do I get both systems to see the home directories
(pretty OK
> with Windows - map a drive letter and use that in user creation
scripts).
> Pretty sure I would do the same from Linux using Samba, but how to set
the
> correct permissions?
> At the moment on the Windows computer we have
/Users/Students/xxxx/Username
> as home directories and only have the one share at /User/Students then
use
> permissions on the directories to ensure privacy below that.
> Is this a job for Winbind?
>
> Any suggestions, resources, readings etc appreciated as I have a
couple of
> weeks to sort this all out in my head before I have to implement it.

Samba documentation is huge.
check man pages for :
    smb.conf, smbd, nmbd

Have a look at the SAMBA HOWTO.

There is also a browser based configuration tool (swat) - Samba Web
admin tool,
that helps you to create the smb.conf file and provides quick access to
the
various bits of documentation.

Also a book by  McCune called "Integrating Linux & Windows" gives a good
start.

In short, the answer to your question is definately yes.

Hope this helps,

Andrew Eager