Peter Hardy wrote:
> Basically, we've come across a 486 laptop that we'd like to get linux onto,
> and use as a terminal.  The machine has no CD-ROM, and won't have any
> ethernet until I can afford a PCMCIA network card.
>
> The current plan is to either hack up a debian install disk with PPP, or use
> a rescue disk like tomsrtbt to put the base packages on to the hard drive.
>
> Any suggestions?

Been there, done that.

I did a debian base install using floppies and the rest over a parallel
port cable (using plip).

Plip (and probably slip) is easier to setup than ppp for a direct link.
Plip was my preference because data transfer over a parallel cable is
much faster than over a serial cable.

You should be able to use either with a debian base install though - no
need to hack up a debian install disk.

Matthew