Yep, you've run out of virtual memory (VM). You might want to run "top" and
see how much swap and real memory you have, and determine if you have got a
runaway memory hog. The processes that have been killed are just the ones at
the time that were after more memory, and may not be the culprits.

Here's the code from ./arch/alpha/mm/fault.c  (I'm sure it similar for
Intel)

/*
 * We ran out of memory, or some other thing happened to us that made
 * us unable to handle the page fault gracefully.
 */
out_of_memory:
        if (current->pid == 1)
        {
                current->policy |= SCHED_YIELD;
                schedule();
                goto survive;
        }
        up(&mm->mmap_sem);
        if (user_mode(regs))
        {
                printk("VM: killing process %s\n", current->comm);
                do_exit(SIGKILL);
        }
        goto no_context;

Martin Visser
Network Consultant - Compaq Global Services

Compaq Computer Australia
410 Concord Road
Rhodes, Sydney NSW 2138
Australia