On Tue, 11 Sep 2001, Stephen Robert Norris wrote:

> > > Well, look, folks, I hate to have to spell it out for you guys, but...
> >
> > Please, spell. I'm anxious to see how good your english is.
> >
> > > Have you ever looked, raw, at a binary file, e.g. cat'ed it to screen by
> > > accident?  That sort of stuff is, of course, what comes whizzing past
> > > your modem every time you, for example, transfer a binary file over a
> > > telephone line.  You will note that you can find just about any pattern
> > > you please of characters in there, if you scroll far enough -- rather
> > > like looking for patterns in clouds, except with less healthy exposure
> > > to the outdoors.
> >
> > There's a couple of things wrong with this assumption.
> >
> > 1) The chance of a combination of binary code coming out in the exact
> > format of "+++ath0" is literally staggering. Winning lotto, by comparison,
> > would be an every day event.
>
> Yes, 1 in 72057594037927936.

or more nicely 2 ^ 56. Which means in every 16.7 million 4 gig chunks of
data you download you will see 1 of these. Which you might get away with on
a cable modem it would take around 39846.040000579829 (assuming I got my maths
right)[1] years to encounter that string randomly.

Benno.

[1]

>>> (2.0 ** 56) / (56 * 1024) / 60 / 60 / 24/ 365
39846.040000579829