From: Howard Lowndes [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]]
Sent: Friday, 14 September 2001 7:48 AM
To: SLUG Mailing List
Subject: [SLUG] to C/H/S, or not to C/H/S?

Situation
        Perform a customised server installation of RH7.1 with RAID 1

Mission
        Create a multi-partition RAID 1 set on two identical IDE drives,
/dev/hda &
/dev/hdc (Seagate ST320410A).

Execution
        Perform a graphical RH7.1 install, but when it gets to the bit about
creating
partitions, select the "expert" mode which calls fdisk in the GUI.

At this point I selected hda and set up the partitions I wanted, noting that
the
C/H/S was 2434/63/255 giving blocks of 16065*512 bytes.
I then selected hdc but noticed that the C/H/S was different, being
?????/63/16
(I think the ????? was about 38792, but it is not important) giving blocks
of
1008*512 bytes.
I selected expert mode and altered the C/H/S to match the values of hda, and
then created the partitions.
All went OK after that.

Questions
1.      Is this a problem with fdisk, or is it a problem with the drives?
2.      Would I have been better off to set hda to the finer granularity of
hdc, or
was I correct in using the coarser granularity that I did, or does it
matter?
3.      WTFG?

Howard.
__