It is fixable.

johnf@odie:~$ cat /proc/ide/hdc/geometry
physical     16383/16/63
logical      2495/255/63

then you reboot and at the liloprompt you do
linux hdc=16383,16,63

that mean in this boot linux will force the geometry into lba mode. You
then run fdisk and recreate the partition table from scratch by using
the o command. After the next reboot the drive should be fine without
the need for the kernel options.

John Ferlito
Senior Engineer
Bulletproof Networks