On Tue, 23 Oct 2001 08:44, eurk-dsl wrote:

> Does anyone have any figures on how much M$ are helping the deficit each
> year in Australia?

My personal guess is of the order of  $2.5 billion per year.

> Imagine the impact on the balance of trade and therefore the wealth of
> the nation if M$ was taken out of the equation.

If just the government  used free software / open source the total savings we
be in the order of  $15 billion per year.

Or  to use other measures a brand new major teaching hospital in each capital
city (6 x $1.5 billion) +  $1 billion  for higher education + $1 billion odd
for land degradation / salinity + 1 billion for child care + a few billion
for tax cuts / higher pensions.

EVERY YEAR !!!!!

> Every time you install SAMBA/Linux for example at a site, you've
> contributed to Australia's bottom line.

Yes and if you use a "triple bottom line"  if get even better!!!

1. Profits - Yes, it is much cheaper
2. Environmental - Yes, it improves the solutions for other people including
poor people
3. People - Yes - Better educated as they can see the products (source)

--
Richard Hayes
Nada Marketing - 113-115 Oxford St Darlinghurst Australia