Heracles was once rumoured to have said:
> I had the chance to use a mate's cable connection the other night
> and downloaded the latest kernel source. My problem is that he
> put it on a CDRW disk (using windows) and my system does not even
> recognist that a disk is inserted. I know it can be read using
> something like easy CD creator in Windows but can it be done in
> Linux? Could anyone point me in the direction of a HOWTO etc.

OK, there are a few points to note:

CD-RW media is not compatible with all drives.  Your CD-ROM drive will
need to support `multi-read' in order to read the media.  Most modern
CD-ROM and DVD drives support this and will work, however a number of
older drives (including my old 24x Mitsumi) don't.

If you used Adaptec DirectCD, there is a good chance that the disc is
UDF and not ISO9660.  If you used UDF, you will need Linux kernel 2.4
as udf support was not introduced into the kernel until the 2.4
family.

C.