On Sunday 18 November 2001 22:45, Crossfire wrote:
> Heracles was once rumoured to have said:
> > I had the chance to use a mate's cable connection the other
> > night and downloaded the latest kernel source. My problem is
> > that he put it on a CDRW disk (using windows) and my system
> > does not even recognist that a disk is inserted. I know it
> > can be read using something like easy CD creator in Windows
> > but can it be done in Linux? Could anyone point me in the
> > direction of a HOWTO etc.
>
> OK, there are a few points to note:
>
> CD-RW media is not compatible with all drives.  Your CD-ROM
> drive will need to support `multi-read' in order to read the
> media.  Most modern CD-ROM and DVD drives support this and will
> work, however a number of older drives (including my old 24x
> Mitsumi) don't.
>
> If you used Adaptec DirectCD, there is a good chance that the
> disc is UDF and not ISO9660.  If you used UDF, you will need
> Linux kernel 2.4 as udf support was not introduced into the
> kernel until the 2.4 family.

Kernel was 2.4.0-4.  Thanks to all who answered. I now know a
hell of a lot more about CDRW.
Unfortunately my old CDROM might be the problem. My daughter's
machine and 40X CDROM read the disk without a hitch. Transferred
all across the network to my machine (Hence the kernel is now
2.4.14).
Stay well and happy
Heracles