I just had a try at installing the latest Ximian Gnome; about a 250Mb
download, via the easy installer.  All seemed to work fine, until it
tried to install perl 5.0.6, when it failed because the package was
already installed.  That's apparently an insurmountable obstacle - the
easy installer doesn't have a way to deal with this problem.

I don't normally use rpm installs, since they always seem to cause me
troubles, but for something the size of KDE or Gnome, compiling
everything from source is too painful, especially since I only want a
few things from it.

Anyway, I now have a temporary directory with 144 rpm files.

So my question is, is there a utility that will work out which rpm
files provide which dependencies, and work out the order to install
them all?  It would be less tedious than compiling from source, to work
out by hand what the right install order would be, but surely this must
be a common problem?

luke