Hi,

(not quite sure wether to pos here or on slug-chat :-) )
I have an old computer with a '386 CPU on which I thought I would
install linux.  The box has 32MB RAM and a NIC.  If I try to do a Debian
"Woody" install the process fails when loading the root disk.  I have
tried using both the "compact" and "vanilla" flavours.  The error
messages are similar.

For the "compact" flavour the following appears after entering the root
disk:
crc error <5> VFS: Insert root floppy and press enter

For the "vanilla" flavour the message is as follows:
RAMDISK: compressed image found at block 0
crc error <6> apm: BIOS not found.
VFS: Insert root floppy and press ENTER

The box will boot up under tomsrtbt 2.0.103 which has a 2.2.20 kernel.

I compiled a version of memtest-86 3.0 for a 386 CPU, booted from it and
let it run overnight.  By morning it had run through all the tests at
least once so the memory is probably OK.  Changing the floppy drive
seems to make no difference.

I vaguely seem to recall reading of problems with newer kernels compiled
with recent versions of GCC but have not been able to find a reference.
(toms disk is a libc5 distro and the kernel is compiled using GCC 2.7.2)

According to the README on the Debian rescue disk it should work with a
different kernel so I thought I'd try the the one from tomsrtbt 2.0.103
I have been unsuccessful in copying the kernel from toms disk. I can
mount it as a minix filesystem on my desktop computer and ls shows the
kernel, bz2bzImage, but I can't copy it to my hard disk.  The error
messages say something about trying to read past the end of the
filesystem.

Can anyone shed any light on these problems?

regards,

Ken