On Wed, 2002-07-24 at 20:28, Ken Caldwell wrote:
> I have an old computer with a '386 CPU on which I thought I would

Probably clutching at straws here, but does it have a math coprocessor?
Adding "no387" to the lilo boot prompt might help in the case that it
does have one which isn't working properly.

> For the "compact" flavour the following appears after entering the root
> disk:
> RAMDISK: Compressed image found at block 0
> crc error <5> VFS: Insert root floppy and press enter
*snip*
> least once so the memory is probably OK.  Changing the floppy drive
> seems to make no difference.

Have you tried different floppy disks, and it could also be corrupt
images.

> I have been unsuccessful in copying the kernel from toms disk. I can
> mount it as a minix filesystem on my desktop computer and ls shows the
> kernel, bz2bzImage, but I can't copy it to my hard disk.  The error
> messages say something about trying to read past the end of the
> filesystem.

tomsrtbt formats the floppy as a 1.722MB disk, not 1.44.  When you run
the setup program to write the floppy, it creates a /dev/fd0u1722 device
(I think.  It might be a different size - check the docs).  Try mounting
with that instead.

Good luck.
--
Pete
[EMAIL PROTECTED]

Much human ingenuity has gone into finding the ultimate Before.
The current state of knowledge can be summarised thus:
In the beginning, there was nothing, which exploded.
                -- (Terry Pratchett, Lords and Ladies)