On Wed, 2002-09-18 at 19:18, Howard Lowndes wrote:
> Jeff raises a good point here, but just what is "le minimum" that you can
> put on a public server and still expect it to run.  I'm thinking RH here
> not Deb (and I don't want a war between the two camps)

How long is piece of string?

I really can't comment on any distro other than Debian (it's been too
long since I used them), so this theory is going to be Debian based but
the theory ought to translate providing other distro's have sane
installation options. Debian is also what we use at work and hence I've
done this quite a few times :)

Essentially, when building a server you want to install as little as you
can then build upon that base. In Debian this means saying "no" to
tasksel and dselect during install. This will result in what is lovingly
called a "base system" being installed.

The base install, IIRC, is some where about 100M to 200M (it could also
be a lot less, I'll confirm tomorrow after I build another one) and it
gives you all the minimal operation "stuff" you expect, like a kernel ;)
a shell (bash), logging deamons, PAM, etc etc, the real basic stuff as
well as sshd, a mail daemon and that's about it.

>From here you build your server into what you want. Doing nfs? In my
case I'd run "apt-get install nfs-server" which will result in NFS and
all it's dependencies being installed from my source of choice. Repeat
for Apache / Samba / LDAP / IMAP / whatever it is you need to run.

I'd execpt that other distro's will have a similar mechanism to that
described in the last paragraph but over all the theory ought to hold
across distros.

If you're distro doesn't allow a bare bones install, you ought to
re-think your choice of server distro.

--

Cheers,
      Craige.

GPG Key fingerprint = C206 904F 5231 2F2E 8DAA  F094 5879 71B5 0960 CF37

http://arseclown.tv/