Amanda Wynne wrote:
  > I've got dosemu itself going. Exitemu works fine. I can dir, copy
  > to/from floppy (painfully slowly).
  > But I can't get anything worthwhile working. Protel Trax just goes
into a black hole. Nothing.
  > All help appreciated as I can't kill off
  > windows till I get Protel going under dosemu. I need it for work.

This is nothing to do with dosemu some suggestions if you are able to
make the break from a Windows/DOS electronic CAD to a Linux one. I have
just had to do a circuit board from schematic to autoroute and to gerber
file format for a circuit board house to make the board and used
CadSoft's EagleCAD. http://www.cadsoft.de I had DOS
Protel at home (a legal cp) but I really felt I wanted to use Linux.

They have a scematic capture, autorouter and layout package that is
free, with some limitations, for
personal use. It works superbly AND it comes with Libraries of
components. I will be moving up to the $ version as I am using it for
commercial stuff.

I also tried Bartels AutoEngineer. http://www.bartels.de
It comes as RPM's for Intel
platforms. The trial/freeware version downloaded and it installed fine.
That ran a bit slow and I liked the interface of EagleCAD better so
I didnt use AutoEngineer but it looks like a complete package equivqlent
to Protel.

There other open source and free packages at sourceforge for doing
circuits but comparison to Protel is like Notepad.exe is to Word.
GAEL2 is an EDA package for Gnome2, again its pretty simple. There are
lots of very alpha stage PCB layout packages. I actually downloaded and
tried out several. Basically for all the

Of course moving from Protel or any Windows package to Linux may not be
that simple if you have lots of previous Protel designs or have to
exchange CAD files with colleugues using Protel. As my circuit was new I
was able to make a clean jump.

Here is a reall good set of refs for EDA on Linux:
http://sal.kachinatech.com/Z/1/index.shtml

Mike
---
Michael Lake
Linux enthusiast, caver and interested in anything technical.