My girlfriend recently bought a computer, a Compaq Presario 6000,
and the first thing I tried to do was set it up to dual boot Linux.
(Though she didn't previously have a computer, she's a programmer who
uses AIX at work, and was quite excited by the prospect of getting C,
perl, python, etc. development tools.)

I did a RedHat 8.0 install, repartitioning the 80gig hard drive,
leaving 50gig for Windows and using the rest for Linux.  There were
some problems -- the modem wasn't detected and I fear it's some kind
of evil WinModem -- but I got everything basically working.

When I went to reinstall Windows, however, I found that the restore CD
insisted on reformatting the entire hard drive!  Aaarrrgh.  Is there
any way around this?  (As far as I can tell, parted and FIPS won't
resize NTFS partitions -- is there some other way of doing that?)
And is it worth complaining to Compaq (or the ACCC) about this?

Danny.