I've found that most boxes newer than 486 handle no graphics
card.

A handy thing with boxes that have no monitor is to set up
a terminal on one of the serial ports, especially
with a firewall where you are likely to "cut off your hands",
it is nice to be able to get in still.

You want to put a line in /etc/inittab (my distro has them already there,
but commented out)

#T0:23:respawn:/sbin/getty -L ttyS0 9600 vt100

what you're looking for is ttyS0 or ttyS1 which means serial port 1
(TeleTYpe Serial 0?)

then kill -HUP 1 (init is the first process).

It's also handy to put ttyS0/1 in /etc/securetty which means
that you can log in directly as root, rather than as a user
then SUing.  The reason they aren't in there by default is
that modem logins are usually over serial ports.

Cheers,
Woody