On Tue, Feb 18, 2003 at 08:30:01PM +1100, Erik de Castro Lopo wrote:

> Does anyone know if compact flash card readers like this:
>
>     http://www.adelong.com.au/Products_Dec_2001/MM/MMGEN052.htm

Probably.  I bought a Verbatim CF reader ($38 at Harris Technology) and
it works fine.  They do a multi-card reader too.  I also have a
usbdrive which also works on Linux.

All you need is a kernel with usb mass storage and scsi (because the usb
drives appear as a scsi device) support, with the appropriate entries in
/etc/modules.conf:

    alias usb-controller usb-uhci
    alias usb-controller1 usb-ohci
    alias usb-controller2 usb-ohci
    alias usb-controller3 ehci-hcd

and /etc/fstab:

    /dev/sdb1   /mnt/flash      auto    user,noauto,nosuid 0 0

and the hotplug tools installed and configured.  I'm using RH7.3 and
all I had to do manually was add the line in /etc/fstab (and if you
have kudzu installed it will even do that automatically).

WARNING: insert your CF card into the reader *before* connecting it to
the USB port, and disconnect the reader before removing the card, or
you will corrupt the data on the card.  I know, I've done it, and
although I did manage to recover most of the 100 or so photos I lost,
it wasn't easy.  I now know far more about the Exif file format than I
ever wanted to know, and I had to remember all I knew about FAT16 but
had hoped never to need again.

Cheers,

John
--
It's only A omputer when you invoice for it. Inside, it's thousands of
tiny parts, all waiting for a chance to get you.