On Wed, Mar 05, 2003 at 01:18:15PM +1030, David Fitch wrote:
> hmmmm maybe something funny is happening with xauth??
> I noticed doing "ssh -v -v -X lisa" it's displaying:
> debug2: x11_get_proto /usr/bin/X11/xauth list spiral:0 2>/dev/null

What is "spiral?"

> this appears one line before the "requesting X11 forwarding"
> message.  Is that running on my local desktop or the remote
> machine?  cos manually doing "xauth list" on my desktop returns
> various stuff but doing it on the remote machine returns nothing,
> and there is no .Xauthority file in my home dir on the remote
> machine, but there is on my local desktop one...

Permissions problem?  Maybe you can't write to your own
home dir to write the .Xauthority file?

Firewall?  Ssh has to listen to the forwarding port (6000 + DISPLAY screen)
i.e. localhost:6010 on the destination machine.

Try netcat (nc -p 6010 -l) to this works.

Running out of ideas ...

Matt