On Tue, 2003-06-24 at 19:42, Robert Tillsley  wrote:
> On Tuesday 24 June 2003 19:38, "Robert Tillsley wrote:
> > Hi guys
> >
> > I am trying to work out how to get a copy of the jdk for my woody system so
> > that I can fix some dependancy issues and hopefully eventually get a gui
> > up.
> >
> > I have the basic woody cd and mirror.aarnet.edu.au as sources, however when
> > I try to install something it asks for jdk 1.1.8 from the ibm site, which
> > doesn't work.
> >
> > So I'm thinking, perhaps I can use another version or I can add another
> > source. Does anyone know another ftp server out there that has the imb
> > 1.1.8 jdk?
> >
> > Regards
> >
> > Rob T
>
> One other thing, will applications care what sort of jdk is installed.

Oh yes! The current version of Java is 1.4.1 (1.4.2 if you use a beta)
which is very different from 1.1.8 (which was the last 1.1 release).
When version 1.2 was released, the whole platform was renamed java 2,
hence J2EE. But they still kept the same release numbers so for example
1.2, 1.3 & 1.4 are all java 2.

To recapitulate; if something requires java 1.4 there's no way that
it'll work on 1.1 or quite possibly on anything before it.

Considering that Java licensing doesn't play nice with Debian I never
use apt to install java. It doesn't really need it (and before you flame
me I think apt is one of the best tools I've used), all that needs to
done to install Java is to download the release from sun, run (it's a
shell script) in the target directory and set JAVA_HOME, PATH and
MANPATH and that's about it. I've had more problems than I care to
mention trying to get apt and Java working together.

rgh

--
"It is possible to make things of great complexity out of things
 that are very simple. There is no conservation of simplicity"

Richard Heycock <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
tel : 0410 646 369
key fingerprint : 909D CBFA C669 AC2F A937  AFA4 661B 9D21 EAAB 4291