I was going to use a .jpg file in a figure in a LaTeX document,
on the grounds that an.eps file would be too big.

So I copied the method from Keith Reckdahl's "Using Imported Graphics in LaTeX2e", ie.,

\documentclass[dvips,11pt]{report}
\usepackage{graphicx}

then

use convert myfile.jpg myfile.eps

to get a Bounding Box line, which subsequently becomes the
only line in myfile.jpg.bb

(and deleted myfile.eps)

then

\DeclareGraphicsRule{.jpg}{eps}{.jpg.bb}{`convert #1 'eps:-' }

What *should* happen is that, at dvips, this latter command
translates the .jpg file into an .eps file (specified by
the "eps:" option) and sends the result to standard output
(specified by the "-" specification).

Except that it doesn't.

What I get is:---

dvips: Failure to execute convert Myfile.jpg 'eps:-'; continuing

I have this feeling that something is wrong with the
\DeclareGraphicsRule in that part {`convert #1 'eps:-' }.

Could anyone help, please?

Regards,

Bill Bennett.