At Mon, 27 Oct 2003 13:17:11 +1100 (EST), education  wrote:
> I download the package Filter-1.26 from CPAN. I'm having problems
> understanding how to use this package to get Perl code to go through the
> filter before compilation.

> Also does this method clearly prevents anyone from seeing the source code
> of a Perl script ?

Unless it uses some form of encryption, then all you've done is
obscured the code - anyone who can use the same filter can read the
source code.

See Embperl for an example of a module which *does* do encrypted
source code - you compile a private key into the embperl module and
then use it to encrypt source code files (see crypto/README in Embperl
source).

Be aware that a determined person with access to the files and the
ability to run them can always find out what it does.  You'd have to
have some peculiar needs to make this approach worth the effort (as
opposed to simple restrictive file permissions, for example).

--
 - Gus