Hi people,

I’ve got a real problem here. I’ll explain It as best I can.

I have set a system and connected it to adsl. All works well.

The adsl is shared to about 6 people in the building via Squid cache, and shared to another person via Netfilter/NAT. All works well.

I have set the firewall up so that every packet that enters and exits the eth1 (adsl) interface is logged to a mysql database using the ULOG daemon. All works well.

Now I use Calamaris or Webalizer to generate a report based on Squid usage so we can see how much people are downloading. It seems to work well.

I use PHP scripts to query the MySQL database to find out how much data comes into the eth1 interface. Seems to work fine.

Today I requested the current internet usage from our ISP.

The problem is that we are getting very conflicting figures in our reports.

For the month of november (from the 1st to today the 19th) our ISP tells us we have already downloaded 2.2gigs.

Webalizer tells me that we have only downloaded 780megs for November (from 1st to 19th).

And when I do a report on the MySQL database it tells me we have only downloaded about 450megs!

Its got me completely stumped because everything that comes through eth1 (adsl) is logged to the database, so in theory the figure should be approximate to the figure our ISP gave us.

I did a few tests setting up another chain and added some rules to Netfilter, anyway, I reset the firewall counters and downloaded a 512kb file.

The web browser reported the file size as slightly larger than 512kb and the byte counters in Netfilter said the data that came through the specific chain I set up for the download was only about 446kb.

So can anyone explain why I’m getting such varying figures? Are there problems with Netfilters byte counters, or anything like that.

Does anyone have any ideas?

Very much appreciated.

Chris Barnes.