Er hi,
yes I know there was a thread on this a little while ago - but I admit I
wasn't paying attention to it at that point, and I'm also not sure if it
was precisely what I need for myself, so I thought I'd repost - and hope
nobody minds too much...

Basically my issue is this:
- I am a part of a gaidhlig mailing list, and there are "special"
  characters in said list (mainly vowels with accents) which come
  through to me thusly:

A Shi\371saidh, 's truagh nach fhaca mi thusa
aig a' chuirm-chi\371il le Cl\354ar!
Tha mi dol leatsa, bha iad d\354reach sgoinneil!
Bha mi aig SMO airson Cursaichean G\362irid a-rithist,
agus bha e fior fheumail agus c\362mhnachail, mar is abhaist.
Is miann leam an-sin fhuirich. (Chan eil mi cinnteach mu an rosgrann seo)

(hopefully that'll display literally instead of as the characters that I
want to see... if not - they appear to me as \ followed by a 3-digit
number (eg 354 or 362))

Now, I read my email from my home machine (while at work) through an ssh
connection... so there are multiple layers of program, any of which may
be at fault at the moment. gnome-terminal 2.2.1 is the terminal I'm
using at work.

Now, I once had a bit of help from someone who suggested changing
character encodings and stuff - but I remember that the only success in
that seemd to be to change the 3-digit numbers into question marks... so
not much help :(

He then suggested looking at my fonts - but I'm not entirely sure how to
do that (I'm still a newbie).

At work we use redhat, at home I have debian - and I don't know if it's
mutt or the terminal so don't know which to look up...

so was kinda hoping that the wiser souls on this list might have some
insight/advice to help steer me in the right direction...

Cheers and thanks,
Taryn

--
This .sig temporarily out-of-order.