On Wed, Feb 09, 2005 at 10:47:59AM +1100, Lyle Chapman wrote:
> Can anyone point me to a good backup script or program that does
> incremental backups?
>
> I have a particluar directory I want to backup to an external firewire
> drive every night.

I use dirvish for almost exactly this purpose (well, USB drive, but
otherwise identical).  It produces hardlinked trees, so each image is a
complete snapshot of the system as at the time of the backup, but it only
uses space for the changed files.  It's quite a cool system, and can work
across a network if you have need of such things.

It's a bit quirky to set up, but once in place works very nicely.

- Matt

--
New Yankee Workshop isn't a "how to" for home hobbyists, it's "Baywatch" for
powertool fetishists.