On Sat, Mar 05, 2005 at 07:00:27PM +1100, Howard Lowndes wrote:
> I am trying to get a wifi signal working between two BV houses about 20
> m apart separated by a colourbond fence.
>
> I can get it to work but the signal is weak - typically less than 20%
> and drop outs are frequent.
>
> Am I asking too much of wifi?

I went through this exercise recently. The brick doesn't seem to be too
much problem. I get 20 metres routinely through up to 3 double brick walls
at quite good signal strength. In two of the rooms there are two 150mm
heavy RSJ steel beams that don't see to make a difference.

As others have noted, the colourbond fence is going to be a problem. I
don't have that to contend with.

I'm using a netgear wgt624 access point at one end and a netgear pcmcia
card at the other. No special set up.